An open forum for fans of anime, manga, or video games to openly discuss their interests without any shame or reserve.
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 cosplay!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
rapturesrevenge
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 30
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: cosplay!   Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:01 am

Hi everyone! My name's rapture, and I'm here cuz my pal (one of the friendly neighborhood mods), hoodsey, pretty much threatened to disembowel me if I didn't join and get some estrogen coursing through the veins around here. (jk, she just referred me here XD ). So, long story short, I'm an English/photography major in Ohio who just happens to be a wee bit obsessed with animanga. My all-time favorite series is Fullmetal Alchemist with Soul Eater a very close second.

So, how obsessed are we talking about? How about cosplay?

I'll start off with some of my stuff, which you can find at my cosplay account on deviantART. Just to note, if you have a dA account and wind up devwatching me, you have to refer to me by my cosplay name, Shiori (the name I use at cons instead of my actual name). I started cosplaying with Eureka Cosplay in April 2009, when a buddy from high school finally convinced me to cosplay with her and some of her friends...which is how I wound up meeting my girlfriend, but that's another story. Anyway, so far, I've mostly done casual cosplays, my most accurate being Tifa Lockhart from Final Fantasy VII and Maka Albarn from Soul Eater. Some of my personal favorite photos of my own cosplays are:

meister and weapon - a photo of myself as Maka and my girlfriend as Maka's partner Soul Eater Evans.

brushing up on looking down - a photo from a casual photoshoot. I'm Naruto.

role reversal - from the same casual photoshoot; I'm Naruto and my friend Xiao is Sasuke.

gone with the wind - me and Xiao again, from the same photoshoot.

As for my favorite cosplayers, there's kayleighloire, majin-sama, my friend rinature (who is seriously the best Cloud Strife EVER), twinfools, among many, many others. Of course, when it comes to people who cosplay Soul, no one's better than my girlfriend. <3

Now it's your turn. Is there anyone around here who cosplays, even if it's just getting the wig and throwing something together with the clothes in your closet? Please include a photo or two of something you've put together yourself, and if you have a favorite cosplayer (or two, or three!), include a link to their page.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exdream2k5.deviantart.com
hoodsey
Moderation Incarnate
Moderation Incarnate
avatar

Posts : 33
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 30
Location : Southern Cali

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:31 pm

I will definitely have to get down on this goodness after school and work!

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/hoodsey
Mukki
Admin
avatar

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-07
Age : 30
Location : Riverside County, CA

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:36 pm

I was about 16 when I did this and it was for Halloween (note that these were taken at my former high school).

As far as convention cosplaying goes - perhaps this year at Anime Expo if I have the build for Ryu, I may do it. Laughing


My only cosplay attempt ever:
Spoiler:
 

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://otakulife.forumotion.com
Exomnius
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:22 am

HAHAHA cotton candy hair.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doodiebop.com
rapturesrevenge
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 30
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:44 pm

That is an AWESOME Kakashi cosplay! And that would be kickass if you cosplay at AX. You should totally do it. =D
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exdream2k5.deviantart.com
Mukki
Admin
avatar

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-07
Age : 30
Location : Riverside County, CA

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:19 am

rapturesrevenge wrote:
That is an AWESOME Kakashi cosplay! And that would be kickass if you cosplay at AX. You should totally do it. =D

Exomnius summed up the major flaw with my costume.Sad It was an overnight project, but I really may try to do Ryu this year!!

Your Soul Eater getup is something that I would consider to be convention quality, honestly. Now the real question is if you'd be willing to give any insight on how to pull something like this off:


I've always wanted to be Kain. silent

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://otakulife.forumotion.com
rapturesrevenge
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 30
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:01 am

Mukki wrote:
rapturesrevenge wrote:
That is an AWESOME Kakashi cosplay! And that would be kickass if you cosplay at AX. You should totally do it. =D

Exomnius summed up the major flaw with my costume.Sad It was an overnight project, but I really may try to do Ryu this year!!

Your Soul Eater getup is something that I would consider to be convention quality, honestly. Now the real question is if you'd be willing to give any insight on how to pull something like this off:


I've always wanted to be Kain. silent

tbh my real Maka costume that I wore to ACen was an overnight project because I couldn't get the actual skirt put together in time, much less find accurate boots or an accurate vest (that is changing for Ohayocon in January, though!). The leader and VP of the cosplay group I'm in (the VP is my friend from high school) aren't too concerned with accuracy, but my girlfriend and I are, so...yeah. Accuracy is everything.

For an overnight cosplay, your Kakashi is really good. If anything, restyling the wig would help immensely. I know how difficult Kakashi wigs can be - Slash, another member of my cosplay group (and the VP's boyfriend) was our Kakashi at Matsuricon in August, and the wig was hell to work with.

For something like Kain, I'm not entirely sure how to approach the helmet or the armor (I have yet to put together a cosplay that would have me wearing armor of any kind, sorry! Cosplay.com might have a few resources you could use, though), but for a base (what you'd be wearing under the armor), I'd get black pants that are about as tight as you can stand them - and would allow you to use the bathroom without having to take your entire outfit off - and an equally tight long-sleeved black shirt. The guards on his arms would be easy to find; just go to an outdoor sporting goods store and look in the bowhunting section. They should also be easy to customize for your costume.

As for his armor, though I'm not entirely sure how to approach making it, it looks like there's a lot of leather in use here, so I think you could get away with using pleather and a thin, but sturdy foam base.

The trick with any cosplay is to find materials that look like what the character is wearing...too often I see fail!cosplays with shiny fabrics (i.e., Edward Elric's coat, which is neither fire engine red nor satiny) or the wrong colors (such as the blazers from Ouran High School Host Club), not to mention the wrong hair (style/color/length). Mad

Were you also looking for insight regarding Kain's weapon?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exdream2k5.deviantart.com
Mukki
Admin
avatar

Posts : 145
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-07
Age : 30
Location : Riverside County, CA

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:51 am

rapturesrevenge wrote:

tbh my real Maka costume that I wore to ACen was an overnight project because I couldn't get the actual skirt put together in time, much less find accurate boots or an accurate vest (that is changing for Ohayocon in January, though!). The leader and VP of the cosplay group I'm in (the VP is my friend from high school) aren't too concerned with accuracy, but my girlfriend and I are, so...yeah. Accuracy is everything.

For an overnight cosplay, your Kakashi is really good. If anything, restyling the wig would help immensely. I know how difficult Kakashi wigs can be - Slash, another member of my cosplay group (and the VP's boyfriend) was our Kakashi at Matsuricon in August, and the wig was hell to work with.

For something like Kain, I'm not entirely sure how to approach the helmet or the armor (I have yet to put together a cosplay that would have me wearing armor of any kind, sorry! Cosplay.com might have a few resources you could use, though), but for a base (what you'd be wearing under the armor), I'd get black pants that are about as tight as you can stand them - and would allow you to use the bathroom without having to take your entire outfit off - and an equally tight long-sleeved black shirt. The guards on his arms would be easy to find; just go to an outdoor sporting goods store and look in the bowhunting section. They should also be easy to customize for your costume.

As for his armor, though I'm not entirely sure how to approach making it, it looks like there's a lot of leather in use here, so I think you could get away with using pleather and a thin, but sturdy foam base.

The trick with any cosplay is to find materials that look like what the character is wearing...too often I see fail!cosplays with shiny fabrics (i.e., Edward Elric's coat, which is neither fire engine red nor satiny) or the wrong colors (such as the blazers from Ouran High School Host Club), not to mention the wrong hair (style/color/length). Mad

Were you also looking for insight regarding Kain's weapon?

Well, I've never cosplayed at a convention due to being a perfectionist, but the information you've given me is quite helpful. In all honesty, as bad as it sounds, I never thought of looking at cosplay.com for advice either, haha. Razz

The leather is a good idea, though. Otherwise I was thinking of hitting up the local blacksmith (well, okay, not really, but theoretically if I had a ton of money to waste... Laughing ) to have the chest plate made.


Now, as for the lance, I was thinking there would be a lot of extruded polystyrene foam (styrofoam), but it may end up looking too fake. I guess that will be a slippery slope, since it can't be a real lance or anything. Heck, just let me know what you think! Laughing

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://otakulife.forumotion.com
Exomnius
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Halloween   Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:05 am


Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doodiebop.com
Exomnius
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 1
Join date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:09 am

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://doodiebop.com
rapturesrevenge
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 30
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:38 am

Mukki wrote:
Well, I've never cosplayed at a convention due to being a perfectionist, but the information you've given me is quite helpful. In all honesty, as bad as it sounds, I never thought of looking at cosplay.com for advice either, haha. Razz

The leather is a good idea, though. Otherwise I was thinking of hitting up the local blacksmith (well, okay, not really, but theoretically if I had a ton of money to waste... Laughing ) to have the chest plate made.


Now, as for the lance, I was thinking there would be a lot of extruded polystyrene foam (styrofoam), but it may end up looking too fake. I guess that will be a slippery slope, since it can't be a real lance or anything. Heck, just let me know what you think! Laughing

haha Don't worry about being a perfectionist. The best cosplayers are perfectionists. I started checking out Cosplay.com for resources and the like when my group tentatively planned to do Ouran at Ohayocon (that fell through, though). I don't have an account, but the site still comes in handy.

The great thing about those resources, though, is that you learn to make believable-looking props and costumes fairly cheaply. I wouldn't use styrofoam, though. You could probably get away with a sturdy foam base and cover that with either sheet aluminum (read = not foil), OR you could use the foam base and paint that over with a type of metallic paint that I've heard is found in the automotive department at most stores. It'll look fairly realistic without actually being real. As for the handle, if you can find a dowel rode or smooth walking stick that's big enough, that should do the trick. Not sure about the strap, though, but making one shouldn't be too hard.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exdream2k5.deviantart.com
hoodsey
Moderation Incarnate
Moderation Incarnate
avatar

Posts : 33
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-23
Age : 30
Location : Southern Cali

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:32 am

^ Cat, you are so smart. I'm glad you are here! Very Happy

I'd love to cosplay as something one day. Just not sure what...

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://myspace.com/hoodsey
rapturesrevenge
Nooblet
Nooblet
avatar

Posts : 12
Reputation : 0
Join date : 2009-10-30
Age : 30
Location : Ohio

PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:54 am

hoodsey wrote:
^ Cat, you are so smart. I'm glad you are here! Very Happy

I'd love to cosplay as something one day. Just not sure what...

Late reply is late. My bad.

Pfft. Me? Smart? As if. lol I just pay attention to what Kara and my pal Will tell me when I'm pestering them for ideas seeing as I'm creatively challenged. As for your future cosplays...start with something simple, but make sure it's a character you want to cosplay (as well as one you feel you can cosplay accurately). We can probably talk shop about that sometime on AIM now that I have a working computer again.

Most people don't really care about this too much, but there are some things to take into account when you're cosplaying (if you want to be a decent cosplayer) :

  • Height (not too big a deal, but it matters with certain characters, i.e. Edward Elric, Kuchiki Rukia)

  • Body type (big boobs do not belong on characters like Maka Albarn, and use a chestbinder if you're cosplaying a guy)

  • Your "handle" on the character's personality/moods/mannerisms

  • Your willingness to sit down and work on the costume to make it accurate (this includes wigs)


...Yeah. Totally didn't just write up a day's curriculum for Cosplay 101.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://exdream2k5.deviantart.com
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: cosplay!   

Back to top Go down
 
cosplay!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Doctor Who SDCC 2010 Cosplay
» Ebay Cosplay
» Phantom cosplay
» Sailor Moon cosplay at Hot Topic
» Tsuki's Sailor Neptune Cosplay

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Living the Otaku Life :: General :: General Discussion-
Jump to: